Wednesday, June 13, 2007


I like the routine that this running has added to my life. Somedays it feels a little like a chore to fit in but most days it adds structure and a reason to get me moving. Becca and I have started running together in the mornings before work. Right now that means a 5:45 wake up call. In a few weeks that will mean earlier if I am going to be running longer before work. We commented today on how we have only had one day of iffy weather since starting the program. It is amazing. Every other one has been glorious. The kind of morning when I am glad to have an excuse to get out of bed and get outside before work. I remember last summer trudging to the car to get to work under blue skies and feeling depressed that I would be inside most of the day. Now I am forcing myself to be out there first and that has helped keep me sane while being pent up for the rest. At least until I get home again and tromp around with Abel on our walks.

The added structure also comes from having to have all my bags and clothes ready for the next day. Mostly because I can't think straight until I am on my second mile so having my shoes and keys by the door every night limits the countless minutes of staring in the morning. Then the running limits my time to get ready for work so I have to iron the night before. Unheard of. I have never been good at getting stuff ready the night prior. I remember in high school trying to curl my bangs while ironing my uniform. And previous jobs I could usually get away with black pants and an un-ironed shirt. No longer. I am growing up or something and with that means making painstaking efforts to look presentable for work. Well, at least ironed.

Speaking of summer activities, I went for another lunch walk alone the other day. Because now, not only is it insane to walk during your lunch, but it is way too hot to even stand outside the door, bah. I went to the library. I have a new haven. Air conditioned as well as quiet. Oh, and free. Scott and I are going to meet there with Abel more during my lunch. That is a great idea for all the above reasons. The only downside was the smell of a bunch of people crammed into an air conditioned building on a hot day. I can stand it. Especially when it is the downtown version with multiple levels to escape to. I used to go there all the time when I worked downtown but it took the weather changing to remember it is only about a ten minute walk away from work. Score.

So my summer will consist of running, ironing and going to the library. Thrilling.

2 Comments:

Blogger Beth said...

OK, I am going to wager that I am way more in love with sleeping than you are (which I realize will cause you and all who know you to put up quite a fight). Not because you get up early to run, but because you don't get yourself ready the night before. I am soooo addicted to that - I even lay out the right underwear the night before in order to be able to jump out of bed, into the shower, into my work clothes, and into the car. Once in a great while I iron the week's clothes but that is just a bit too June Cleaver for me at the moment. Anyway, the reason I do this is for those precious 18 minutes (9 minute snooze times two) of sleep I get in the morning. Mmm, heaven.

2:28 PM  
Blogger Tracey said...

Ah, 18 extra minutes do sound good right about now. I must say I have not been able to sufficiently quench my sleep needs since Abel was born. I guess I have come to realize it may never be at the place in my heart it was before! Although, some days I would dig out my left eye ball just to take an hour nap.

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home