Monday, May 07, 2007



Since most of the people I work with seem to be agoraphobic I went on a walk by myself today. I manage to convince a certain group of people a couple of times per week to traipse around downtown for an hour during lunch, but usually it is like scheduling an event. Some people have to have the "right shoes" or have some kind of destination. So I conjure up a destination like going to get coffee at Javas. "You are going to walk WHERE? That is too far!" The are convinced it will take an entire hour to walk up the street and we could never possibly make it back to work in time. Then I explain that it only took me 15 minutes to walk there yesterday and they decide it would be more fun to read the local section.

There are probably two people who are like me. They just like to get away from the craziness for an hour and wander. Especially when it is ten degrees cooler outside than in. Back to today. I found a nice secluded bench overlooking the oh so mighty Genesee River. I slipped off my shoes so my casper feet could come out from hibernation. I started staring at all the feet passing by on the sidewalk. A lot of men who wear suits have their pants tailored way too short. Or maybe they just wear different shoes than they had on when measured or they just bought it off the rack not caring how long the inseam was. Whatever the reason, it is ugly when pants are too short. At least when you are staring at many pairs at one time.

See what my co-workers are missing. Walks can be so enlightening. I will try to rope them in again tomorrow.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lora said...

I saw a segment on the news about how Americans hate to walk. They claim that's why gas prices are so high-because the oil companies know that we'll drive anywhere we could have easily walked to.

Now I know why people look at me sideways when I tell them I would take Violet for 3 walks a day if I could!

6:24 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ha ha ha, our co-workers are so opposite! When one of us suggests "walking outside" to get to the cafeteria (which, if we are being honest with each other, only amounts to crossing the street outside from one building to another instead of taking the 3rd floor bridge), everyone is more than willing to do so. In fact, I'd be THRILLED to take a walk around the block "on my way" to the cafeteria!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

I'm with you. I am lucky though, I have a co-worker friend who is happy to walk around our little parking lot (otherwise known as Movies 10). We get to look at Jay's diner and traffic on W. Henrietta Road...good times. Lucky you! Wish I worked closer!

5:46 PM  
Blogger Bridgette said...

What's wrong with them?! Downtown Rochester is so fun to - always something to see as your post indicates. But oh no...I just bought Don a suit for graduation. I hope the pants aren't too short?

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home