Monday, April 30, 2007

gotta love mondays

Me calling my probationer from the waiting room doorway- "Mr. A."

p- "Took you long enough."

me- "Get over here, please."

getting seated in interview space...

m- "That was obnoxious. I have told you I don't see people before 2:00. I won't see you early if you are here before that."

p-"oh yeah, um, sorry."

m-"Why are you in such a hurry?"

p-"You made me late for my interview."

m-"I made you late. What time were you supposed to be there?"

p-"1:30"

m-"1:30, That is the time you got here."

p- "I thought I should come in here."

m-*this is going to be a long conversation* "Well call them and see if you can get in later."

p- "Nope, that was the second time I blew them off, they won't give me another one."

m-"Guess you have to look for another prospect."

p-"Why can't you be cool like my last PO? She was my friend."

m-"Welcome to adult probation. It is not my job to be your friend, it is my job to ......"

p- "Well, what I don't get is why you're making me do all of this community service!"

m-"Actually you got off easy. It was recommended you get 400 hours of community service and the judge only gave you 40."

p- "40!? That is a lot!!"

m-"Mr. A, that is just like working for one full week. Maybe you should practice it before you get a real job."

p- "Give me the judge's number. I want to talk to him."

m-"He's busy. You can call your public defender when you get home. Make sure you are in by your curfew. I will be checking."

p- "I wish you would give me back to my old PO."

4 Comments:

Blogger bethanybeams said...

People. Aren't they great?

11:39 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

I bet we work with some of the same winners...oh, uh, I mean clients. We just started a Young Adult Mental Health Court Treatment Program at Strong Ties. Lovely bunch :)

4:45 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

His old PO must've done a bang-up job if he thought they were FRIENDS!

Keep up the good work!

1:59 PM  
Blogger Bridgette said...

Wow, you are much more patient than I would've been. Kudos to you for the job you do (read your earlier post), it's good to know there are people like you in "the system."

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home