Friday, October 13, 2006

Loving Lola



The hardest birthday I have had was seven years ago. Scott and I had just moved to Las Vegas a few weeks prior and I had started a new job one day prior. This was it, the first birthday Lora and I had ever been apart. I was stuck at a desk all day with nothing to do but think about my sister and the fall leaves back home. I wished teleporting was real and surely we talked via phone on the hour, every hour.

Five o'clock rolled around and I was so glad to see Scott when he picked me up. We didn't know the area restaurants well yet but I was in the mood for Chinese. Scott obliged while reminding me all Chinese food looks like it was dipped in snot. I asked him if I had gotten anything in the mail that day. He sadly said, "I didn't check it." My stomach hurt but I tried to be upbeat on the way home. I think I failed.

When I opened the door to our stucco apartment there was a tower of priority mail blocking the entry way. This was the only time Scott lied to me and it was great. I got presents from everyone in my family, wrapped individually. I didn't even care what they were just that they were from home. Scott and I ate cake and laughed together at how grumpy I had been before. There would be more birthdays together with her. I was sure of it because I couldn't stand the thought of the opposite. It was the hardest birthday in many ways but one of the only ones I remember in detail. Scott turned it into something special for me.

Now we are getting old and Lora is having a baby girl! I am glad we are back.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

We're glad you are here (in rochester) too, and sad that we're not on your B-day. I know you're getting old, so if you don't remember us when we see you on sunday, ask scott to help you out... Or better yet, print out a picture and write our names on it. that'll help!

Happy 30th!
Mike and Mel

8:14 PM  
Blogger bethanybeams said...

Happy Birthday, Tracey!

Glad you were born.
:)

6:22 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Happy, happy birthday! I'm glad Scott lied! Er...

I hope you have a wonderful day. And that you get to spend at least a part of it with Lora! I love that picture!

I, too, am so glad you were born. :)

Love you!!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

My goodness, I just realized something: I don't know which of you is in the blue (not that that is particularly relevant to this comment, seeing how your faces are quite similar) - but wow, does that face match Abel's!! Neat.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Happy Birthday! That's a great picture :)

8:20 AM  
Blogger Megan said...

My favorite twins in the world! Happy Birthday to both of you! Tracey...I miss you and wish you all the best for a beautiful upcoming year!

5:12 PM  
Blogger margieh said...

Special! Happy Birthday, Tracey!

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home