Monday, September 25, 2006

walking a warrant through

Which in short hand means... instead of waiting for our courier to deliver the violation paperwork through the court clerk and to the judge's desk I had to deliver it by hand and have the judge sign the warrant. I had my first thrill at this last week. The reason for doing this is so one of my probationers who got re-arrested for criminal possession of a weapon last weekend won't be released from jail just yet.

Assistant District Attorneys like to put off preliminary hearings so as to not have defendants released while being held on new violent arrests. Sometimes they cant' hold off the hearing as long as they would like and the only way to accomplish that is for us to file a violation with warrant right away which will hold a probationer in custody, past the hearing. I had to make this one stick and he was going to be in court in the morning session. I finally got ahold of the judge around 9:15 am and luckily he didn't have a docket that morning so his secretary said to run over. My supervisor signed off on the violation and I ran over to the Hall of Justice and up to the fourth floor, where the Supreme Court judges preside. After I waited for the judge to finish up his conversation and sign the warrant I booked to the clerk's office to have it time stamped then a block away to the old city hall to lodge it with the Rochester Police Department's Criminal Investigation Unit. Their officers help us out and lodge it right away. It was done just in time. I was very happy, in part because the Public Defender was not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home