Monday, March 13, 2006

A Mexican Review

We went out for dinner the other night and it inspired me to write a short review of some area Mexican restaurants. You know, in case anyone reading this is in the mood for a taco, but sick of Taco Bell and Don Pablo's. Here are a few places to find better versions of south of the border classics. I'll touch on the only area Mexican food I have tried, the list is: Mex, Salena's, Maria's and Los Amigos. All close to or in the city, and affordable.

If you aren't familiar with authentic Mexican food, here is a tip on what NOT to look for if you want the real deal. ~ Smothering something wrapped in a tortilla with mounds of cheese and rich sauces is not a good way to get a taste of Mexico. I suggest finding a restaurant that makes their own refried beans, spanish rice, tamales and tortillas. Mexican food is simple food. The trick is making it tasty with a few ingredients. So, here are my short and humble opinions...

Starting with Mex. This is a cozy place in the hopping bar area of Rochester. cough. The food is good and service sufficient. The menu is full of great fresh vegetarian and contemporary recipes. New twists on some old classic Mexican food. If you have never tried avocado pico de gallo, this is a great place to get it! The tortas and burritos are huge and full of flavor. Big emphasis on black beans here. Probably the least authentic of the places I chose but surely worth a mention. A lot of diversity to create complex Mexican flavors. Great salsa too.


Salena's has the most authentic ingredients that I have found and a happy stucco atmosphere. Unfortunately, the food isn't all that tasty. I have been here a few times and just kept thinking I was ordering the wrong thing, but nope. I am sure some people will contest this, since it has been around for awhile! Maybe I need some suggestions on what to order. The meat has always been dry and flavorless with the exception of the chorizo. The rice is also quite dry and bland. The mole is flavorful, but once you have mole in the style your family makes it there are hard lines for comparison.

Maria's is in the strangest location and pretty hard to find if you don't know what to look for. Very rustic and clumsy looking but great food. Everything is homemade and yummy. The tostadas, enchiladas and tortillas (hot off the griddle) are all recommended! Great salsa here too and I remember the rice and beans being perfect for my taste. Very affordable!

Los Amigos is by far the best of the group. There are a couple other Mexican places I wanted to try, but now that we have found this place I think my search is done. Service was fantastic. It is compelling to me that the restaurants with the simplest decor often has the food with the most gusto. I have only been here once, but have heard good reports from various people as well. This is where we ate on Saturday, and didn't have to wait for a table which helps my opinion of it. The fresh salsa was spicy and great. Our food was out promptly and hot. I ordered the chicken chimichanga (which is not the chain store version of a fried tortilla.) This was delicious, savory shredded chicken wrapped in a large flour tortilla along with sharp cheese and chilies. Superb, spicy and simple. Scott ordered the green chili enchiladas, the light sauce was bursting with flavor and heat. Completely recommend both dishes. I thought the rice and beans were the best renditions I have tasted in this area.

¡Coma y goce!

3 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

You should try Paulio's (or something like that)! It sits at the fork of Mt. Hope and South where they split. There is a funky little shopping center with a Mr. Shoes and a Chinese place, anyway, the food is AMAZING! It is a small place but very charming and very authentic! YUMMY!!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Tracey said...

Lo- I am all about the restaurant reviews. We should hit a few indian places for next month.

Meg- Hey, I had never heard of that one before, I will have to check it out! Maybe that will be the exception to the los amigos rule.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Mmm, as I crunch down on my Jeno's "crisp and tasty" individual pizza...

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home