Friday, January 20, 2006

Winter Food

I had some left over mashed potatoes and I was looking for a good shepherd's pie recipe that wouldn't require me to go to the store for extra ingredients. I couldn't find one that met all those requirements so I picked out what I could from the recipes and combined that with what I had in the fridge. Abel licked his fingers. Here's the recipe if you care to know it.

My version of shepherd's pie...

Mashed Potatoes
1.5-2 lbs good mashing studs (I like russet,- I also like a lot of potatoes so you may not have to make this much, just eyeball it.)
2 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. sour cream
Splash of milk if needed
salt
garlic powder
Boil potatoes until very tender. Add butter and sour cream whip until just smooth. Add seasonings to taste.

Pie Part
1.5 lb. ground turkey meat
1 package of frozen veggie mix (soup variety - onions, peas, carrots, celery, green beans, corn...)
2-3 c. chicken broth, low sodium
3 Tbsp cream cheese
1/2 c. heavy cream
flour
3/4 c. parmasean cheese
salt
pepper

Heat oven to 375.
Brown ground turkey then add 2c. chicken stock plus frozen veggies over high/medium heat. Push all meat and veggies to side of pan and allow broth to pool on other side. Wisk cream cheese, heavy cream and then flour into broth until starts to thicken. Blend into meat and veggies. Add more chicken broth if it seems dry, it will dry out in the oven if not moist enough. Remove from heat and add cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. Dump in casserole dish and spread potatoes over mixture as thick as you like. Bake until mixture is bubbling slightly through edge of dish.

2 Comments:

Blogger SJ Austin said...

Mmmm, this was the best shepherd's pie ever.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Megan said...

Man, sometimes I REALLY wish we still lived upstairs! It sounds delish!!!!

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home