Monday, December 12, 2005

i've seen the christmas light

Ten or so years ago I was so cynical about Christmas. You know that despondent sophomore year of college, sick of normalcy and tradition. I lectured my parents about the american christmas culture and consumer lust. Staring at my dinner pate piled high with steaming food I felt sick as I figured out how many homeless people it would feed. Things change.

Some of those feelings linger, and for what it is worth that time helped shape my perspective. Thankfully it didn't squash everything good about it for me. This christmas is noteworthy because I have the fever. For the first time we have done everything... the cards, pictures, newsletter (yes, we are officially the older version of geeks), lights inside and outside, tree, hand-made crafts, cookies, and the evil presents. Not sure what got into me. I am sure having a kid helps perpetuate some of it, but I must admit to my former self, it is fun.

Of course some of it still drives me crazy; the stupid displays that are up well before thanksgiving, the people who think credit card debt is a must, the "Jesus is the Reason for the Season" banners. I don't like to completely release my bitterness. But, I am hoping this feeling of balance between celebrating my religion's hugest holiday and our culture's federal family fuzzy day will continue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home