Monday, January 02, 2006

Back

I broke out the back pack carrier yesterday. Abel was happy to oblige me and let me strap him to my back and walk for a couple of miles, which we haven't done in a couple of months. I was starting to get into the digging a hole in the couch syndrome of last winter when I realized I need to get outside. The fever hit hard.

I have always enjoyed walking through the winter. Feeling the burn after trudging through snow drifts in heavy boots. Last winter was different because Abel was just turning five months old when the harshest months set in. I figured it was easier to give into the weather and burrow inside for a few months than worry about bundling him well enough and dragging the stroller through the snow. Well, not this year, I am determined to get back out because he and I both love our walks.

I had forgotten about the backpack carrier since September. Probably because the last time I used it I vowed to never wear it again. Abel was punching through 26 lbs at a rapid rate and my back was going into mini hot spasms with each step. So, the last time I wore him around town I figured since he is walking now, he can actually walk when we go for "walks." Well, icy sidewalks don't work well for 17 month olds. He has hit a plateau of sorts in his weight and hovering around 28 lbs. I figure if I ease into long walks, adding miles slowly we can be back in the groove soon.

Yesterday he was not pleased when we dressed him like an Eskimo and crammed him in the small backpack seat. Once I was outside he forgot his claustrophobia and enjoyed the quiet walk with the great view of dogs and people shoveling. The rhythm of my stride and soft crunching noise of the snow had lulled him to sleep when he realized he is too tall now to rest his head on the back of my neck. His head is resting on my ponytail now and that is not comfortable.

Guess this a resolution of sorts. To get back in a groove. I miss it.
My hopes are to get Abel used to sitting in the carrier for long periods and my back prepared for it so that we can complete his first Adirondack peak this spring. We shall see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home