Monday, June 26, 2006

regret to the last mile



My grandfather and his sister never got along super well. My Aunt Grace died last weekend. I think remorse may be settling on my Grandpa's shoulders like awkward shoulder pads. Even though he was loyal to his bitterness throughout most of their adult life we all remained close with my Great-Aunt. I especially respect my Grandma for continuing her close relationship with her sister-in-law, even amidst my Grandpa's avoidance of the situation.

Their disagreements go back decades but every year that I see my Grandpa age I see his eyes grow a little softer. I think his sister's passing may have broken down that wavering line of resistance a little more. We were all together this weekend, our immediate family and a few stray cousins that we haven't seen in years. I heard the word "regret" spill from my Grandpa as he talked with his niece.

I don't know for sure, but I assume he was talking about his sister. No matter how much resentment he had it seems as though death is curing some wounds. Maybe her weakness made him see her human nature more. I hope he forgives, for his own reasons. It's strange how a wonderful and strong man with family as his highest priority can be clouded by petty contentment. Pride is an awful thing sometimes. It just hurts to see him hurt, especially knowing that opportunity for healing between them is gone.

I have a feeling he will put the energy of his regret into a more powerful love for the rest of his family... at least I hope so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home